Saturday, June 18, 2011

How to make a King Tut Egyptian Sarcophagus cake

IMG_0047My son requested an Egyptian theme for his 6th birthday party and wanted a king tut cake-and no not just the head—the whole sarcophagus. So I printed out a good image as a reference and attempted to craft one. here is my tutorial--

I used one batch of homemade pound cake. ( I would not recommend attempting to make this with a box cake mix or anything too soft) I cooked it in 3 mini loaf pans, IMG_0051one large loaf pan and one small 3” round cake. (I also made one extra mini loaf than I made two small squares with – as when my kids have a really fancy cake they want the candles stuck in some mini cake not in the big one)

I lined them up on my giant turkey platter and cut then to sculpt the general form. Then covered them in buttercream frosting and draped the entire thing in gold marshmellow fondant (mixed brown and yellow IMG_0053wilton colors to tint) I then sculpted the rest of the layers of fondant (hands, head dress, crook, etc.)

I then painted the entire thing with gold pearl dust mixed with clear vanilla extract. Then I used black, cyan,a deep prussian blue,(mixed cyan and black) and a red violet to pipe on all the details with a super fine round tip. I took some liberties to simplify  some of the details- because well it deserves just so many tuthours of my time and I am not a perfectionist. you can see here the finished project. I made the mini ankh and eye of horus cakes from the scraps as the mini “candle cake”. I used fondant tools and bamboo skewers to achieve fine texture and details. I have to say though he was very pleased with the finished project…

all I can say is if my son ever doubts that I love him I will pull out this picture ncaketo remind him- only extreme mother love- can drive me to spend an afternoon crafting a 2 foot long, 3-d sculpted, gold covered, king tut sarcophagus cake.

9 comments:

Selwyn said...

Wow.

Just - wow.

You rock the Casbah. And any other ancient groovy place you happen to cast your talents on!

Michal Thompson said...

just like that, so easy!

Blue said...

I used to feel pretty good about my cake offerings. Key words being "used to". ;-)
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.! ♥

Jo Jo said...

Just found your blog again...what was I thinking having gone awol for a few years? This is amazing stuff going on over at your house! That cake is unbelievable! My kids read the Kane series by Riordan, and would totally love this for a party idea...thanks! P.S. Loved seeing all the pics of your amazing house and pictures!

Andaancakes-Nayibe said...

me encant tu idea, fabulosa

E.S. Ivy said...

Just going through my bookmarks - I used your R2D2 cake for a basis of my own design years ago. This cake is *amazing!*

Anonymous said...

Awesome cake!

Clipping Path Service said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard

Lynne Allen said...

Hi Admin, I hope are fine. I'm your one of the biggest fans, I like to read your blogs and I've also shared your blogs with my family members and friends. I hope in future you'll publish more blogs like your old ones. Please accept my thanks on my behalf of me and from my family and friends.

1947 Housing Islamabad
Capital Smart City
Lahore Smart City
New Metro City Gujar Khan
Skip Hire Near Me